Visit Westwood's Demarest Farm this January for Excellent Food, Drinks, and Tours
Relax, SERVPRO takes care of the floodwaters in your Westwood home, while you enjoy a great BBQ.
The Demarest Farm is a Family-run Business for Westwood Residents this Winter
The Demarest Farm is 34-acre farmland that has been in the family for over 130 years. Since the mid-seventies, the farmyard has been open to the public for seasonal peach and pumpkin pickings as well as tours of the local orchard. While the orchard light show may well have been packed away come January, the weekly barbeques that have become a tradition for residents continue. Every Thursday night, the barbecue feast serves up ribs, salads, chicken, and hotdogs to its delighted guests. Wagon rides are also available, while winter specialties like flaming smores are a joy. For older visitors, the home-made ciders that come directly from the orchards are an experience that you cannot find anywhere else in Bergen County.
- The farm features a pick your own orchard, seasonal gardening center, and a farm store for taking produce with you
- Barbecues cost $21 per head and are served up every Thursday.
- A drive-in movie theater opens periodically throughout the year with family-friendly picks.
Getting rid of floodwaters from your home is only possible with industrial equipment. Contact SERVPRO of Paramus at (201) 445-5588 for help with your flooding emergency.
Skydive this Winter with Paramus' Only Indoor Skydiving Center
SERVPRO can remediate the mold from your Paramus home while you go Skydiving!
The iFly Indoor Skydiving Center on Paramus' State Road Provides Expert Training and Experiences for Budding Aeronaughts
The winter months may seem daunting to experience your first skydiving experience. Paramus' indoor skydiving center, iFly, provides a similar experience without the need to drop out of an airplane at 20,000 feet. Indoor skydiving uses vertical wind tunnels to recreate flying without a parachute, plan, or experience. In a wind tunnel, upwards air reaches speeds of 120mph, which matches the terminal velocity of a human being falling. The wind tunnels at iFly allow anyone to experience the sensation of flying without the need to jump out of an aircraft. This winter, skydiving training, group events, and tours are available for all ages.
- During the holiday season, gift cards for iFly experiences are up to 40% off.
- Experienced skydiving tutors give all members a tutorial before entering the wind tunnel
- Educational programs for STEM students are available throughout the year.
The presence of mold in your home can affect indoor air quality and damage materials. Contact SERVPRO of Paramus at (201) 445-5588 for highly-trained remediators and mold assessors.
Violent Weather Events Can Cause Extensive Damage to Paramus Properties
Count on SERVPRO for Commercial and Residential Storm Damage Mitigation in Paramus--We've Got It! Go shop at the mall!
SERVPRO of Paramus Can Mitigate Losses and Repair Damages in an Emergency
Paramus is a quintessential suburb of New York City. Situated just 8 miles away from Manhattan, the bedroom community here numbers 26,342 people. This area of the Garden State has a long history dating back to the arrival of early colonial forces from Holland and England. During the Revolutionary War, Paramus became a key staging ground for battles fought along the East Coast and was visited several times by the patriot forces leader, George Washington. The district was a former headquarters for Washington before advisors suggested he move to Westchester County. For most of the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth-century, this region was a rural farming community with a relatively small, light population of around 5,000 people. The primary focus on agriculture gave Paramus, and the surrounding area, a nickname of the Garden State. It was only by the twentieth century, and the building of the George Washington Bridge in 1931, that the region developed into today's commercial outlet. Infrastructural connections to New York City and an unregulated land development saw Paramus triple its retail outlets to 319 stores in the 1950s alongside three massive shopping malls. Today, it holds a reputation as both a commuter destination and a vibrant shopping district outside New York City.
The Garden State city of Paramus
is well-known as a shopping district. The earliest malls were constructed in the 1950s and 1960s, while local governments have brought in sales tax reductions and levies to encourage further business. Today, five shopping malls serve residents and tourists of Bergen County throughout the year. While the shopping destination does attract visitors and boost the local economy, there are efforts to prevent congestion or other high traffic areas for residents. The so-called blue laws restrict the trade of non-essential goods on Sundays, which have been enforced by the local government since 1957. Paramus is one of the last regions in the US to maintain strict regulation on Sunday trading. The only time these blue laws have been suspended was following the events of Hurricane Sandy in 2012. Charities, food, and medical stores are the only retailers that remain open during Sundays as a result of the blue laws in effect. Alongside Paramus's shopping districts are a significant number of theaters and cultural centers for the arts, which attract internationally renowned artists throughout the year.
- Bergen County Zoological Park is located with the Van Saun County Park and offers 146 acres of parkland, forests, and waterways. The center also encourages entertainment for younger children with its playgrounds, Washington Spring Garden Train, and Millenium Carousel. The zoo opens from 10 am until 4 pm each day, with free admission throughout the year. Alongside the animals on show, the zoo encourages nature through several education programs, volunteer workshops, and displays.
- The Garden State Plaza is home to some of the largest shopping malls in the region, including Westfield. These destinations cater to visitors throughout the day, with several food courts and hundreds of retail outlets selling electronics, fashion items, and accessories. Flagship stores include Lord & Taylor and Macy's, although many smaller gems are found here like the Timberland outlet. The mall also hosts a sixteen screen IMAX cinema.
- Hyatt Place Fair Lawn Hotel in Paramus is one of the more popular mid-range hotels in the area and is ideally situated on Broadway Route North. The large property has several room types, TVs in all rooms, and a complimentary breakfast. It is located near enough to Manhattan and the Garden State Plaza to ensure that guests can experience both the big city and shopping destination without moving to the hotel.
Popular dining destinations in Paramus, NJ
- The Capital Grille is among the standout food outlets from the Garden State Plaza. The menu is a mixture of fish, meats, and fried fish in the traditional American style. During the summer months, the outdoor patio is a treat for breakfast or lunch, while desserts are typically excellent.
- Just down West Pleasant Avenue in nearby Maywood is the excellent Seafood Gourmet. The charming narrow restaurant serves a variety of freshly caught seafood. Seafood Gourmet has become something of an icon to the local community and delights visitors all year round with their range of traditional soups and salads.
- In and around Paramus Road are two excellent seafood restaurants. The first is El Cid, which cooks up freshly caught in Spanish style and serves paella, among other seasoned favorites. Down the road is the Bonefish Grill, which offers refined grilled fish alongside a surprisingly good cocktail menu.
Large Weather Events Can Cause Damage to your Paramus Home. SERVPRO Can Help Secure and Restore your Property after a Storm.
Storm and flood cleanup is a time-sensitive task that requires experience working with residential properties in the area. SERVPRO has been helping residents recover after massive storm events like Hurricane Sandy in 2012 and can help protect your home in an emergency. Our first step is to secure the property against looting or further water intrusion. We can erect temporary tarpaulin to prevent additional rainwater from entering the property and boarding up broken windows or entrance ways. Inside the home, our team can quickly pump water out of the property, which reduces stress on the structure. Using our leading drying techniques, technicians can promptly guard your home against the secondary damages associated with water intrusion. Storm and flash flooding can have a devastating impact on your daily life. SERVPRO has both the resources and infrastructure to return your home to its preloss condition.
- Our technicians are trained to work in biohazardous substance environments that are a frequent byproduct of flash flooding. Using our full range of disinfectants and cleaners, we can safely remove contaminated materials or restore property parts.
- Crew chiefs can perform emergency pack-outs of the contents in your home following a storm event. Pack procedures can secure your possessions and store them at a climate-controlled warehouse while restoration of the structure begins.
- Powerful submersible pumps can be deployed in the property to pass contaminated water and solid waste that may enter the home. Our extraction equipment is capable of removing hundreds of gallons of water at a time.
Storm-related incidents can cause havoc in a home environment. Contact SERVPRO of Paramus at (201) 445-5588.
Help Your Kids Learn More About Giving in Paramus This Holiday Season
We look forward to seeing you at the Westfield Garden State Plaza Holiday Events!
Enjoy a holiday shopping experience for the smallest members of your family!
At the Westfield Garden State Plaza in Paramus on December 4th and 5th, 2020, children can experience a unique shopping experience tailored specifically to them. Not only will they get a bit of training in managing a budget while shopping for specific members of their family, but there are also many entertainment elements to make the experience memorable.
The recommended age for this event is 5-12. There are two puppet shows. Also included are a Kids Market photo wall, a scavenger hunt, a section of giftable items to purchase featuring things like candles, jewelry, and ornaments to encourage your child to pick out Christmas gifts all on their own (with the oversight of event personnel.) Tickets are available by time slot through Eventbrite or by calling (201) 843-2121.
Overloaded circuits during the holidays can cause a fire disaster. When fire mitigation for your Paramus home is necessary, trust our SERVPRO of Paramus team to help quickly when every minute counts. Call us today at (201) 445-5588.
Westwood and Paramus Locals Can Get a Dose of Comedy
SERVPRO can restore flood damage while you laugh away your cares at the Flamingo Club.
Step away from the serious for a night of free stand-up in Hackensack
With so many people not being able to travel and visit with their families as they would like, the Flamingo Club in Hackensack has the solution to get Westwood families laughing the weekend after Thanksgiving. A free stand-up comedy event is taking place Saturday, November 28th, 2020, from 7 PM to 9 PM.
Even though this event is free to the public, limitations on admittance and seating should encourage you to book your spot through Club Flamingo's website. Don't miss your chance to see many of NYC and NJ's up and coming stand-up talent. For more information, contact the club at (201) 440-3332.
Flooding is no laughing matter, so when you need storm and flood restoration for your Westwood home, trust the professionals that can get there quickly. Our SERVPRO of Paramus team can show We're Faster To Any Size Disaster. Contact us today at (201) 445-5588.
Is Professional Water Mitigation Beneficial to Paramus Businesses?
Water damage is always a threat, and that is why SERVPRO mans the phone 24/7.
Severe water disasters could threaten structures and shops throughout the borough
As a highly populated New Jersey borough, there are many attractive features and places in Paramus for those traveling through the area or looking for a new place to settle down. Beyond our favorable climate that features each season and charming vistas of the fall when the leaves change color, there are many other things that potential travelers should know about Paramus and what has allowed its population to increase. As an area that continues to expand and thrive, much of it has to do with the most profitable and accessible industries' growth.
Rapidly Expanding Retail
Retail is arguably the most profitable piece of Paramus's economy and is one of the shopping meccas for the entire New York City metropolitan area and Greater Newark region. Annually the locale generates more than 6 billion in retail revenue, all without levying a sales tax. It is one of the main reasons that Paramus has had the substantial retail success that it has, with New York City and other areas of New Jersey charging sales taxes on clothing and shoes.
Shoppers can appreciate five main malls, outlet store locations, and several retailers with multiple locations throughout plazas and shopping centers so that Paramus continues to be one of the most profitable zip codes for retail sales. When you consider the strict laws of the borough that prohibits non-essential services beyond groceries, restaurants, and gas on Sundays, the impressive profit and revenue generated annually is a considerable feat that expresses the popularity and draw of these shopping experiences.
The Colleges of Paramus
With several institutions for secondary education in Paramus, the demographic is evenly distributed. While many area students pursuing specific arts and majors can reach New York City in around an hour commute, the multiple colleges and satellite campuses here in Paramus encourage many high school graduates to stay in the area and reintegrate into the workforce after pursuing their degrees.
One of the county's largest institutions is the Bergen Community College, with its main campus in the borough. Collectively, Bergen claims to have more than 18,500 students regularly actively. While there are Hackensack and Lyndhurst campuses, Paramus offers room and board for the most significant portion of the collective student body. This younger portion of the population, in turn, helps to keep the high volume of retail options in the area growing and thriving.
Renowned Medical Facilities for Bergen County
Bergen County and Paramus are specifically served by several prominent medical facilities, such as the Rutgers-affiliated New Bridge Medical Center, a massive hospital founded in 1916 and maintains its status as the largest medical facility of its kind in all of New Jersey. In addition to this centerpiece for emergency and long-term care, Paramus residents can also utilize secondary institutions like St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center and The Valley Hospital. SERVPRO works quickly for emergency buildings like this to keep them up and running after a disaster.
Community Events in Every Season of the Year
One of the gems of living in Paramus is how the community celebrates holidays and events. Even more to how unique and alluring this can be for a city of this size, many area businesses and organizations' involvement helps ensure that each of these gatherings is safe, memorable, and worth returning to each year. Even our SERVPRO franchise has been part of community events, fundraisers, and holiday gatherings to spend time with our friends and neighbors beyond the emergencies that impact their lives.
Multiple events fit into the annual schedule of events, and many of the Paramus residents look forward to a time soon when social distancing and regulations can allow for these special occasions to get together to be as they once were:
- July 4th Parade from Century Road to the Memorial Elementary School
- Memorial Day Parade event annually
- Fire & Rescue in Paramus (Companies 2 & 3) host an annual "Safe Halloween" party for the children of the community
- Santa Detail is a parade-like event where the Paramus Fire Department drives Santa around the borough and gives out candy to those coming out to wave to Mr. Claus as he passes by their house.
- The National Night Out changes every year but often features many games, activities, and live music.
What is Water Mitigation for Paramus Homes and Businesses?
Mitigation is one of the most vital efforts that our experienced SERVPRO water restoration professionals undertake for area homes and businesses. While the general premise and desired results are the same, the methods used to reduce the immediate damage and potential loss of a residence varies from one to the next. Water mitigation is broken down into a few key stages that start as soon as our professionals first reach the damaged site.
Content management and relocation are among the chief concerns for many Paramushomeowners, as every house has irreparable items, keepsakes, treasures, and belongings of sentimental value. Actions taken quickly can help protect these treasured belongings by relocating to a safe area of the house or our SERVPRO facility nearby. An evaluation of exposed and water-damaged contents can determine the extent of recovery efforts required to return them to their original condition.
Extraction is also a critical effort, as successful drying cannot begin without first completing this phase. Surprisingly, this goes beyond surface damage to impact trapped moisture and dampness in porous materials like OSB board subflooring or wooden framework behind drywall and insulation. Multiple tools play a role in removing surface water and trapped moisture from flooring materials, including carpet wands, weighted extraction stand-on units, and electric submersible pumps.
Water restoration needs require immediate attention so that the situation does not get worse. With most of our roster certified as Water Restoration Technicians (WRT), our SERVPRO of Paramus team is ready 24/7 to help when disasters strike. Contact us today at (201) 445-5588.
Paramus, NJ – The Racefaster Thanksgiving Day Run
SERVPRO is looking forward to the annual Thanksgiving Day Run!
Residents of Paramus, NJ, Gear Up for the Annual Racefaster Thanksgiving Day Run!
Besides the Thanksgiving turkey and giving thanks for everything you have, there is nothing quite like burning off calories before the big meal with a Racefaster Thanksgiving Day 5k run! This event takes place rain or shine, and there will be plenty of protocols put in place for social distancing. Due to local guidelines and all participants' safety, the race will feature an 'open start and finish' to allow for funneling through the start and finish two-by-two or by family. Each runner will have their start time begin when they cross the start line and then ends once they cross the finish line.
- Date: Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 26, 2020
- Location: Garden State Plaza Mall, Paramus, NJ
- Time: 9:00 am until 11:00 am
- Cost: Registration is $30, and the cut-off is November 23, 2020 at 6:00 pm
We care immensely about the health and well-being of our community here at SERVPRO of Paramus. If you have a fire emergency that calls for skilled technicians' help for fire and smoke cleanup, we can be reached at (201) 445-5588. We are Faster to Any Size Disaster, and we will have a crew on-site and ready to work within hours of your initial call.
Can A Regular Water Restorer Help Save Wet Electronics in Paramus?
It is possible to save some of your appliances after water exposure.
SERVPRO Takes Preventive Water Damage Restoration Steps or Helps Paramus Homeowners Find Specialists to Fix Advanced Issues
When water leaks into a property, electronic items or appliances are vulnerable since moisture can cause permanent damage to their interior components. Managing damage in electronics requires the right set of skills to guarantee a positive outcome. SERVPRO takes protective steps to safeguard electronic items or finds specialists in Paramus to assist.
What situations lead to water damage in electronics?
You might believe water damage restoration of electronics in Paramus properties is only necessary when such items are submerged in water. However, other situations can lead to such outcomes, including:
• Humidity in the air condensing, wetting the items
• Water splashing on the items
• Moisture spreading from other wet items nearby
What are the best ways to restore wet electronic items?
• Drying the moisture
• Preventing rusting or other chemical reactions
• Cleaning all traces of impurities
Water damage in electronics can develop differently. For instance, the moisture or impurities dissolved in the water have conductive properties, which might cause short-circuits when an item is powered. Our SERVPRO technicians take simple steps, such as unplugging all the items to prevent shorts. Ensuring there is sufficient heating in the house helps prevent condensation, which can spread damage in items all over the house. Regular drying procedures such as dehumidification also help.
In case the water involved has significant impurities or is salty, the affected items require cleaning because traces of such materials can corrode or short-circuit internal components when the appliances are turned on. We can arrange for such cleaning by a specialist to forestall future issues.
It is possible to save some of your appliances after water exposure. Call SERVPRO of Paramus to help you take proactive steps. You can reach us at (201) 445-5588. We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster!
Why is SERVPRO So Much More Effective at Mold Removal Than Other Services?
Do you know how to locate mold in your home? SERVPRO does! We have the tools to quickly remediate the mold.
SERVPRO Understands the Nature of Mold and Uses Various Advanced Techniques to Remove It from Your Paramus Home
Anyone living in Paramus knows that local conditions can be quite humid. This excess atmospheric moisture often fosters the rapid growth of harmful fungi like mold and mildew. When these growths develop, they can cause various effects ranging from cosmetic to the structurally destructive. Luckily, SERVPRO is often able to resolve such issues successfully.
How Does Mold Grow and Spread?
As an experienced Paramus mold removal service, we know the nature of mold, the reasons it proliferates, and have perfected techniques to mitigate or eliminate it effectively. When dealing with mold, we have learned that it is useful to remember its essential characteristics which are:
- Mold is naturally occurring and can exist almost anywhere outside or inside your home.
- Its spores are too small to be seen with the naked eye.
- It is moisture-loving and proliferates when it encounters water.
- Mold thrives on higher indoor humidity levels, especially those above forty-four percent.
- Its lightweight enables it to travel around easily: the wind can carry mold spores into your home through an opened door or window; spores can attach to your clothing and be unknowingly transported into your residence; pets can also carry them inside, and your HVAC system can blow them around your home’s interior.
- Mold usually gives off a strong, musty odor that makes impacted areas easier to locate
SERVPRO technicians, using cutting edge tools like moisture sensors and meters, thermohygrometers, and infrared cameras, can relatively quickly locate areas around your house where mold exists or could soon develop.
What Steps Does SERVPRO Take to Resolve Mold-Related Issues?
Since we have extensive training and experience in mold remediation in Paramus, our professionals know the best ways to eliminate the troublesome fungus and mitigate its effects, leading to our development of a time-tested process for resolving mold-related issues. In general, we take the following measures when cleaning up and restoring mold-damaged properties:
- Once you call us, we immediately evaluate your situation over the phone and determine the resources necessary for handling your problem.
- Since we understand that significant mold growth and damage can occur in just a few hours, our experts usually arrive on-site within four hours of your call to locate and assess mold damage.
- We then work to prevent mold from further spreading around your house by shutting off your HVAC system, employing work area seals, and creating negative air chambers to confine mold spores while your home is being remediated.
- Our technicians test the materials to see what is salvageable. They then clean and treat restorable household contents with antifungals and deodorants, and discard materials beyond repair.
- While your residence is being cleaned, we remove mold spores from the air with advanced filtration devices like HEPA vacuums and air scrubbers.
- Finally, if necessary, we replace damaged structural elements and reconstruct destroyed sections of your residence.
Ultimately, SERVPRO can help you successfully deal with every phase of the recovery process. Moreover, our policy of always trying to restore damaged materials first, rather than simply replacing them, saves you time and money.
What Specialized Content Remediation Services Does SERVPRO Offer?
We are unique in the cleaning and restoration industry in that we offer a wide variety of services dedicated to the protection and restoration of your household contents. These services include, among other things:
- Professional moving and off-site warehousing of contents to safeguard them from further damage
- Extensive inventorying and tracking of your furnishings and personal possessions to ensure that insurance claims are processed more smoothly
- Advanced photograph and document drying that ensures that these precious items are preserved
- Electronic cleaning that often prevents things like computers, TVs, and other electronic devices from being irreparably damaged by mold growths
Company experts are dedicated to doing whatever it takes to preserve your household contents and return them to their preloss condition. In their efforts, they carefully employ a wide variety of cleaning methods. These could include dry, wet, foam, spray & wipe, immersion, and abrasive cleaning techniques.
Mold is an omnipresent threat in New Jersey, and it does not necessarily require severe weather to encourage its growth in your home. Merely heightened humidity levels or minor water leaks can cause it to invade sections of your residence. If mold is not remediated quickly, these fungal growths could discolor structural elements and contents, cause persistent foul odors, and severely damage your home and possessions.
With all that said, your neighborhood SERVPRO of Paramus is always here to help you overcome your mold issues. Call us anytime at (201) 445-5588 for assistance.
What is the Fastest Way to Reduce Standing Water in a Property?
After pumping out the floodwaters, SERVPRO techs prepare this Paramus basement for a build back, clean and sanitary.
SERVPRO is a Professional Flood Water Removal Firm with Access to High-Powered Pumps and Extractors to Restore your Paramus Home.
What pumps are useful for property flooding?
There are a variety of pumps to choose from when restoring your Paramus home from water intrusion. The capability of a pump should match your requirements. Some situations may require pumps that can transport water a long distance. Other conditions may require pumps that can lift water uphill or remove water with solid waste.
Professional services can quickly assess the ideal type of pump for a flood situation in Paramus and use it as soon as possible. The capability of pumps is generally measured in lift capacity and volume. These measurements can be calculated against the architecture of your home to find the ideal solution.
What types of water pumps are used for flooding?
- Self-priming trash pumps to remove water with solid waste.
- High pressure pumps to transport water from below-grade levels of the home.
- Electric submersible pumps which are commonly used and can transport water up to twenty-five feet away via a hose
Can water contamination affect pumps?
Contamination is present when performing flood water removal in your Paramus. Water flotsam and debris must be assessed before choosing the right type of pump. Solid-waste could clog up a pump or make it less efficient. Equally, the amount of standing water can be a critical factor in assessing the type of pump. Priming is required for most equipment to work. However, when standing water drops below two inches, the pumps may begin to take in air. We can combat this by using a diaphragm pump or relying on a different water extraction method after initial pumping.
What assessments are necessary before water removal?
- The type of water source and the level of contamination
- Whether the basement is occupied (electric pumps) or unoccupied (diesel pumps)
- How far, and through what obstacles, does water need to be transported
A quick resolution to water intrusion can help to reduce losses significantly. Contact SERVPRO of Paramus at (201) 445-5588.