What To Do Until SERVPRO Arrives
When you experience a water damage the quicker you tackle it the better the outcome. First and foremost, finding out the source and stopping it should be your main priority.
If there are no safety hazards begin by shutting off the water source at the shut off valve. If applicable contact a plumber to fix the source to keep further damage from re-occurring.
If the water did not come from a clean source and likely contaminated avoid all wet areas.
- Contact your homeowners insurance company
- Contact a professional restoration company (SERVPRO of Paramus @ 201-445-5588)
- If safe, turn off electricity to affected areas at circuit breaker
- Try to mop or blot up water with towels
- Place furniture legs on foil on wooden blocks
- Use safety pins or clothespins to keep furniture skirts and drapery off wet floors
- Remove oriental rugs and place in a dry area
- Remove all moisture sensitive items to a dry place
- Prop up any wet upholstery cushions to dry
- Remove books, magazines, paper to a dry place where they will not transfer and stain
- Wipe excess moisture from furniture
- Use a household vacuum to remove water
- Use any electronics in a room with wet flooring
- Use ceiling fans where a wet ceiling is present
- Open windows in temperatures higher than 70 degrees. AC may be used if water is not contaminated.